I started with an oil portrait from the 1850s, found in an online auction.
It had a few small tears. A damaged frame. Nobody bid but me.
After I lived with the painting a while, I wondered, “If this person were alive today, what kind of trucker hat would they wear?” (I mean, doesn't everybody wonder that?)
Once inspiration struck, I created/or found the hat, photographed it on a mannequin head, and photoshopped the hat on a photo of the portrait.
I now had reference for a painter.
Next I gave the painting and reference to Linda. And she painted a trucker hat. Right on top of the old painting.
A new life for an old portrait. And hopefully a new life for a troubled child (using future proceeds).
In the end, we spent over 2.5 years and ended-up with 20 rescued paintings.
This process took me a thousand hours give or take.
And countless brush strokes for hat painter Linda Horning and frame-finisher Katherine Jacobus.
Anyhow, we think the results are rather amazing.
(That's your cue to buy one to help these kids.)